We offer the the most committed and knowledgeable rugby coaching staff in South Africa, with a passion for rugby.
- Steven Aschmann - High Performance Centre Manager and Senior Coach
- Jacques Du Randt - Senior Consultant
- Pietie Meyer - Scrumhalf Specialist
- Pietman van Niekerk - Tight Five Specialist
- Derich Badenhortst - Sevens Specialist
- Philip Lemmer - Wrestling Specialist
- TBA - Boxing Specialist
- Ognjen Bozic - Biomechanics Specialist
- Nerine Marx - Optometrist, Sport Vision
- Marijke Badenhorst - Physiotherapist & CrossFit
- Owen van Niekerk - Speed Consultant & Specialist
- TBA - Biokineticist
- Johannes Franklin (Hannes)
- Clayton Durand - Kicking and Flyhalf Specialist
- TBA - Chiropractor
Bcom Sport Management Degree
u19 Junior Lions Testing
Internship- u19 Junior Lions Conditioning Assistant
Sport Science Honours Degree
UJ 2nd Team Conditioning Coach (2015 league winners)
UJ Varsity Cup Conditioning Assistant
Strength and Conditioning Specialist at 360 Degree Sports Lab
Jacques Durand - Head of Rugby Strength and Conditioning, University of Johannesburg
Neil Murphy - Head of Rugby Strength and Conditioning, Griquas Rugby Union
- University of Johannesburg: - 2015 Rugby Head of Strength & Conditioning coach
- Degree in Human Movement Science
- IRB Level 2 Strength & Conditioning Certified
- Involved in Varsity Cup since 2008. 8 Varsity Cups Campaigns to date
- Involved in teams winning: 6 x League titels in 6 years / 3 x USSA Titels (University Sport South Africa) / 1 x Melrose competition (Scotland) - 7's Titels won
- Attended to conditioning of rugby players - Jaco Kriel, Ruan Dreyer, Jaco Taute, Caylib Oosthuzien, Rudi Paige, Harold Voster and many more
- Also assisted with the conditioning & preparation of Andrew v Zyl (EFC Heavy Weight Champion)
- Extensive experience in strength & conditioning , GPS & Heart Rate use in Training and Matches
- Mentored by Ashley Jones ( Canterbury Crusaders, Wallabies) and Wayne Taylor (ex Lions Super 15 conditioning coach)
- 1997 - 1999 Golden Lions u/21
- 2000 – 2002 Leopards Vodacom & Leopards Currie Cup
- 2003 – 2004 Pumas Vodacom & Currie Cup
- 2005 – 2006 Golden Lions Currie Cup
- 2009 Murray Mexted Rugby Academy
- 2010- 2012 Hoërskool Randburg u/16 Head coach
- Winners of Lions League
- First team coach – Runners up Lions League
- First team coach – Runners up Beeld Final, Lions League Winners
- 2012 – 2013 Pirates Rugby Club first team coach / player
- 2014 University of Johannesburg Rugby Club Young Guns u/21
- 2015 University of Johannesburg Rugby Club Young Guns u/21 Head Coach
Pietman van Niekerk
- 1997 -1999 Lions under 21 (Captain), S.A under 19, S.A under 21, S.A under 23.
- 2000 Cats Super Rugby
- 2001 Cats /Currie Cup
- 2002 Lions Super Rugby/ Currie Cup
- 2003 Lions Super Rugby/Currie Cup
- 2004 Lions Super Rugby/Currie Cup
- 2005 Lions Super Rugby/Currie Cup
- 2006 France Argen
- 2007 France Argen
- 2008 France Argen
- 2009 France Montpellar
- 2010 France Montpellar
- 2011 France Montpellar.
Qualified Pilates Instructor
- 2006 – 2009
- Played Rugby for SARU
- University of Johannesburg
- Golden Lions Rugby Union
- Coached RaggaKids
- Assistant Coach Sahiti Private school
- 2009 - 2011 Pilates Instructor
- 2011 – 2012 Personal Trainer
- 2013 – 2015 Hero 100 CrossFit M4M
- Represented Monument High School 1st team 2003-2005.
- Represented The University of Johannesburg 1st team 2006-2010
- Represented GLRU 2005-2007 Currie Cup u/19 and u/21
- Represented Senior Lions 7’s 2007-2011 Captained 3 seasons
- Represented SA 7’s Academy 2011-2013 Captained 1 season
Wrestling and Forwards Specialist
- 2001 Valke cravenweek captain
- 2002-2003 Lions u/20
- 2003 Lions u/20 player of the year
- 2004 Rau first team
- 2005 Lions Currie Cup
- 2006-2007 Valke Vodacom and Currie Cup (2006 Vodacom Cup champs)
- 2008-2009 Cheetahs Vodacom Cup, Currie Cup, Super Rugby
- 2008 Emerging Boks to Romania. IRB Nations cup champs
- 2010 Leopards Vodacom cup and Currie cup
- 12 times SA Champ
- 2000 Second place IAAF grand Prix in Iran
- 2000 6 place Turkey Junior World championship
- 2002 Second place African games Egypt.
- 2004 Six place world cup in Arerbajian Russia
- 2006 Third place Commonwealth games
- 2011-12 UJ u/21 Head coach
- 2012-2014 Valke Cravenweek Head coach
- 2013-2014 Boksburg First team (community cup) coach
- 2015-2016 UJ Varsity Cup Forwards coach
- 2016 Lions u/19 Forwards coach
Ognjen has a Diploma in Sports Science and he is a Martial Arts Strength and Conditioning Coach. He also holds a 5th DAN Black Belt in Taekwondo and 1st DAN Black Belt Hapkido. Over the past 28 years he has competed successfully both nationally and internationally and was 5 times National Champion (both in former Yugoslavia and South Africa). Although Ognjen no longer competes, in 2013 he broke a World Record in a kick & punch marathon lasting 24 hours and 30 minutes. “Part of the reason I did this event was to show that the right kind of training can lead to accomplishing anything”. In 1995 Ognjen started practicing Yoga, he says that “ although my flexibility was already fairly good, I could do a split, however I wanted to improve eccentric strength within my range of movement ”. He also wished to improve on his core strength, thus Ognjen started with Pilates training in 2006. This is what led to Sports Science studies.
Ognjen specilalises in
Athlete Biomechanics assessment and Athlete “Prehab”.
In all sports, athletes use some muscle groups more then the others... The over used muscles lead to body imbalances that can lead to inhibiting an athlete's performance as well as causing injuries. What prehab training does is balance the muscles... To put it in simple words, Prehab prevents Rehab.
Whether an imbalance is due to the repetitive movement patterns of the sport or from the everyday postural imbalances developed through daily movement habits and natural anatomy of the athlete. Therefore a specifically tailored program will improve the athlete's movement pattern which will reflect in better performance within the sport.
- Masters in Sport Vision
- B.Optom (RAU), M.Phil (RAU), D.Phil (UJ)
- Nerine Marx started as first year optometry student in 1998 at RAU, now known as UJ.
- She finished her B.Optom degree at the end of 2001 and started with a Master’s degree in sports vision in 2002 while working part time as a locum optometrist in practices in and around Johannesburg and Pretoria.
- In 2004 she finished her Master’s degree in sports vision, doing research on rugby players.
- A bursary from the MRC gave her to opportunity to further her studies by doing a Philosophiae Doctorate in sports vision which she started in 2005.
- During her research she worked with schools such as Monument High School, Hoërskool Noordheuwel and Afrikaans Germiston high school. She worked with the u/15 and first teams of the respective schools, researching the effectiveness of sports visual skills training programmes.
- She was fortunate enough to obtain her Doctorate degree in 2009.
- She worked in the private sector, practising a wide spectrum of Optometry and visual care where she gained a lot of experience.
- During this period she worked with Devon Conway from the Highveld Lions cricket team.
- Since opening her own private practice in June 2015 in Pretoria she is focused on improving the sport visual skills of our future sport stars.
- Her practice provides optometric services to all ages, but also has the Wayne Saccadic fixator (imported from America) to assess and train the sports visual skills of all types of athletes.
- She is currently working with the Sunshine tour pro golfer Andrew Curlewis as well as the Golf management campus students at Zwartkop golf course.
2006 - 2009
- B.Phys.T University of Pretoria
- Golden Key society
- -Health Professions Council of SA
- -South African Society of Physiotherapy
- -South African Sports Medicine Association
- Community service Prince Mshiyeni Hospital KZN
- Qualified ‘Bok Smart’ Therapist
- Physiotherapist for Amanzimtoti Rugby Club
- Physiotherapist as part of University of KZN rugby medical team
- Head Physiotherapist for U19 rugby squad representing KZN
- Specialist diploma in Orthopaedic Manipulative therapy JHB – WITS)
- Jump-stretch course qualification as a joint mobility specialist
- Assistant Physiotherapist at Monument Hoerskool treating all sports injuries (Rugby, Netball, Hockey, Weightlifting, Athletics etc.) in all age categories (U14-U10)
- Crossfit Level 1 trainer certificate – Coaching beginners to elite athletes at Crossfit Platinum (Linden)
- Competed as part of Team Africa in the Crossfit Games 2013 in Carson City Los-Angeles (U.S.A)
- Founder of Crossnastix – A Training program designed to strengthen core and stability muscles through functional movement while keeping joints and spine as mobile as they are strong. It is built on the fusion Crossfit and gymnastic principals, banded mobility as well as physiotherapeutic knowledge of the role core activation plays in body movement and stability
- My physiotherapy practice at this time concentrated on specialized sport specific injuries and rehabilitation back to sport. Our focus is on keeping the individual training, with or around an injury rather than resting completely until the injury has healed. In this way the individual loses no training time or strength but will only need to catch-up on contact play or skilled movements involving the injured body part.
- Joined LvE Physiotherapy as Senior Therapist specialising in sport injuries, biomechanical analysis and rehabilitation.
- LvE has been part of medical teams at the commonwealth and Youth Olympics.
- We pride ourselves in providing a holistic assessment and treatment of each patient, taking into account their current and future health, fitness and goals.
I have been part of High Performance teams representing either my Province (Gauteng) or South Africa as a Gymnast, Athlete, Hockey player, Tri-Athlete and now Crossfitter. For this reason I know what goes into training and preparing for any competitive sport and the set-back an injury could bring to your goals or selection into a team. I have always been passionate about helping my clients prevent these injuries and become the best athletes they can be.
Tertiary Education (2000 – 2006)
University of Pretoria
Higher Education Diploma in Secondary Education, Physical
Education and Sport Management
Position : Hooker
- 2015/08 – Currently Professional Rugby Player with Agen, France
- 2014-2015/06 : Bourg en Bresse Federal 1
- 2014 : SWD Eagles Vodacom Cup
- 2013 : Southern Kings Super Rugby and Eastern Province Kings Currie Cup
- 2012 : SA Barbarians vs England
- 2012-2011 : Eastern Province Kings Vodacom Cup and Eastern Province Kings Currie Cup
- 2011 : Southern Kings (IRB Nations Cup – Winners)
- 2010 : Lions Super 14 (12 Games)
- 2009 : Pumas Vodacom Cup and Pumas Currie Cup (Captain)
- 2008 : SWD Eagles Vodacom Cup and SWD Eagles Currie Cup (Captain)
- 2007 : SWD Eagles Vodacom Cup and SWD Eagles Currie Cup (Vice-Captain) Winners ABSA Cup Leading tries scored – 11 tries
- 2006 : SWD Eagles Vodacom Cup and SWD Eagles Currie Cup (Vice-Captain)
- 2005 : Pumas Vodacom Cup and Pumas Currie Cup (Winners ABSA Cup)
- 2004 : Falcons Vodacom Cup and Falcons Currie Cup
- 2003 : Falcons Vodacom Cup and Falcons Currie Cup
- 2002 : Falcons U/21 (Captain)
- 2001 : Falcons U/21
- 2000 : Blue Bulls U/19
- 1999 : Golden Lions U/18 Craven Week
Kicking and Flyhalf Specialist
- 2003-05 Lions u/21
- 2005 Lions Vodacom Cup , Currie Cup squad
- 2006-11 Leopards Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup
- 2008 Nominee for Currie Cup player of the year, Top point scorer in Currie Cup
- 2012 to current- Kicking and Backline attack coach /consultant
- University of Johannesburg
- Pirates Rugby Club
- St. Johns College
- Pretoria Boys High
- Coached by:
- Vlok Cilliers (Bulls and Stormers)
- Henning vd Merwe (Pukke and Kings)